Monday 1 September 2008

Day 1 - The Bad Beginning

Apologies to Lemony Snicket for borrowing his title... I've decided that this month I'm going to try for one of my 101 things, number 22: "Blog every day for a month on Cognitive Blindspot." I've neglected this blog quite a bit over the last few months as I've finished up my PhD, and it's about time that I started writing more often. September is going to be a busy month for me, but then so is nearly every month: the whole point of National Novel Writing Month (coming soon...) is that busy people can actually find time to do more things so long as they set themselves goals to work on.

A daily blog post, every day, for the whole of September. Will be good to get writing practice in for November...

Am currently working on setting myself up as a private maths tutor, as well as trying to get my foot in the door on various postgraduate training related things. Had wanted to set myself up independently on the maths tutor front, but have slowly come around to the idea that I might have to go through an agency in order to get names... This is a bit rubbish because it means that I will have to give a cut of my earnings away, but at the same time at least I can almost guarantee that I will have clients (it worked very well last time, which was five years ago).

We do what we must I suppose.

So, in the coming weeks: Wordless Wednesdays, Thursday Thirteens, random reportage and some thoughts on things that I've been thinking about.

Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At my undergrad, our math department had a math tutoring lab, where folks could just come in and get some help with their respective math classes. I worked there all 4 years of my undergrad, and I really loved it.

Then I talked to a friend of mine who had just finished her Masters at Wake Forest (where I just started my Masters...), and asked if they had a math lab (she also attended my undergrad, so she was familiar with it). I was so bummed out when she said no.

However! The Wake Forest math dept. is about to open a Math Center, which will essentially serve the same function, though they're a bit more restrictive here (you have to have appointments). And part our weekly hours as first-year TAs will be in the math center. So... hooray tutoring!

NathanRyder said...

Hooray tutoring indeed! I think it's really cool, it's a very rewarding thing to do. I'm not just talking financially - although it certainly can be - I think it is a great thing to do to have that one to one teaching relationship, trying to help someone understand something.

Bilbo said...

Good to see you back regularly. Where were you when I was crashing on the rocks of calculus back in college and needed a tutor?

NathanRyder said...

Where were you when I was crashing on the rocks of calculus back in college and needed a tutor?

Umm... Waiting to be born? :)