Wednesday 22 August 2007

Another Stray Moment

Today (technically yesterday, seeing as how it is quarter to one in the morning) I met up with an old friend who I've not seen in a long time. We've been friends for years, but living at such a great distance has meant that it's not been easy to see one another often, and my memory tells me it might be as long as two or even three years since we last met.

And yet... In some ways it felt like no time had passed at all. Rachel was, despite the passing of years and now being a fully qualified doctor, still just the same wonderful person that I remember her being. Pretty soon we were talking as we always did, catching up on the comings and goings of various people, and finding out what was new in our lives. It was a shame that we only had an hour and a bit to talk, far too short...

One thing which amazed me were her first words (they almost beat "hello") which were "Oh my gosh, you've changed!" This puzzled me for a while, I didn't know quite how to take it... Eventually, in a pause in the conversation I asked her what she had meant; I thought it might have been because I was dressed quite smartly for the opera I had just come from (La Didone, more on that and my other Edinburgh experiences soon), but her answer surprised me, it really wasn't anything I could have expected.

"As soon as I saw you I could just tell, you're much calmer, more at peace..."

And thinking about it, I suppose I am.

The explanation and thoughts on that are a story for another time I think (how many stories and explanations do I owe now?)...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

4