Thursday 15 May 2008

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Pieces Of Software I'm Installing On My New Laptop

1). OpenOffice - because Microsoft Office doesn't cut it anymore.
2). Adobe Acrobat Reader - the version it came with was quite out of date.
3). DivX - a codec, but an important one!
4). Adobe Premiere Elements 2 - how can I be an auteur without video editing software?
5). Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 - because the camera never lies...
6). Darwinia - because everyone needs a fun game to play.
7). Civilization IV - well, a game or two...
8). Firefox - once you've tried Firefox, you never want to go back to Internet Explorer.
9). Inform 7 - I'm planning my first interactive novella!
10). SNES Emulator - OK, so maybe I need more than one or two games...
11). AVG Internet Security 8.0 - better safe than sorry.
12). A TeX editor - looking around for one at the moment; important for me to be able to keep writing maths professionally.
13). AudibleManager - so I can finally take the original Ricky Gervais podcasts home with me!

More soon.

2 comments:

noisms said...

Adobe Acrobat 8.0 is so slow it'll have you tearing your hair out. Get Foxit Reader - it only read .pdfs rather than making them, but it's way less memory intensive and will take up about 4MB of hard drive space as opposed to Acrobat's 150 or so.

NathanRyder said...

I only downloaded Acrobat Reader, not the full works... Finally got Civilization IV to work after downloading some patches as it isn't supported by Vista...

And started tinkering with Inform last night!