Friday 11 April 2008

Submission

I submitted my thesis yesterday.

After a week spent basically correcting it, and then a day spent correcting the typesetting program that insisted the margins of the pages should do something completely nonsensical, it was a great relief when I finally bound my three copies yesterday afternoon and went over to the Foundation Building to hand them in.

It was, however, an anti-climax to have the member of staff receiving them greet my enthusiastic "I'm here to submit my PhD thesis!" with a disinterested "Do you have the right form?"

Still, the relief of getting it in (and slightly ahead of the deadline I gave myself) is great - although it's only really starting to sink in. I don't have any big celebratory plans over the weekend; my family and I were talking about going out for a meal, but it seems that there isn't a time over the weekend when all four of us are free. If they're all busy tomorrow afternoon I might go to the theatre actually, there's a production of Romeo and Juliet at the Playhouse that might be good. I also want to go and see Samuel Beckett's End Game which starts at the Everyman today...

I've not been to the theatre in a while, but seeing another Met in HD opera on Saturday has really put me in the mood. Now, if only I can persuade someone to go and see La Fille du RĂ©giment...

More very soon, and from next week (probably) I'll be updating a new blog as well, chronicling my efforts to do 101 Things in 1001 Days...

1 comment:

Bilbo said...

Congratulations! Someday, if I ever get off my dead rear end and get my PhD, you can be my spiritual advisor and role model. Do something nice for yourself this weekend...you've earned it.