Thursday 13 September 2007

All About Chemistry


She wore a raspberry beret - the kind you find in a second hand store.

It's funny how chemistry works. That attraction between a man and a woman - where you can't quite explain why, but that person just makes you want to do to them the kind of things you can't write about in a family blog such as this - is often put down to pheremones, but I'm not so sure. Firstly, it doesn't really explain chemistry between gay people, which I'm sure must exist. But more importantly, it doesn't explain how you can find someone intriguing and sexy just by their voice, which I often find when listening to the radio. Pheremones aren't transmitted by radio waves - or else our understanding of biology is way off. So where does that come from?

I think I have the answer. It's because radio voices are disembodied, so you're free to imagine whatever body you like is the owner of said voice. If I hear a woman without being able to see her, chances are I'll fit that sound to an attractive image. I suppose this means that people on the radio are the ultimate fantasy: they're real, so they have that quality of authenticity, but you're free to imagine them looking however you want.

Blame Radio 4's Kirsty Young for setting me off on this train of thought.

2 comments:

Droid116 said...

Your instincts are correct. The post made me look up Kirsty Young, and she is very attractive. It would be interesting to see how much of her image matched your imagined one. On the other hand, many times curiosity spoils the fun of the imagination even when the reality is a fine one.

noisms said...

Yes, what you imagine is generally always better than reality. That's part of the human condition, I suppose.

I do like Kirsty Young though.